Friday, March 16, 2007

The World's Best Polish Deli

I find myself in Minneapolis on business this week, and I had a chance to drop by my favorite Polish Deli in the world. Granted, I haven't been to Warsaw or anywhere in Poland, but if Kramarczyk's (215 E. Hennepin Ave, Minneapolis (612) 379-3018)is any indication of what Poland is like, I will definitely add it to my list of "things to do before I die."

My father-in-law, Chuck introduced this spot to me in the early 80's. He has been a great source of many out of the way spots that focus more on the food than the ambience. I have been back to Kramarczyk's once or twice a decade since that first experience, and it never fails to deliver. The prices are more premium now, but that is a reflection on the portion sizes, the hand-crafted cooking, and the use of copius amounts of meat in everything. Sticker shock this visit was quickly soothed by my first bite of the stuffed cabbage.

Part deli, part cafeteria/restaurant, your senses can't help but be filled when you walk in the front door. The visual greeting is of a bustling, clean and well-lit deli with glass cases packed full of ethnic cuts of meat, sausages, wursts, wieners, pastramis, ring bolognas, and salads of all types. Right next door, and connected on the inside is the restaurant/cafeteria. Grab a tray and slide it on the metal rails past steamer trays full of Polish, Eastern European and even some Italian delicasies. Humongous sandwiches piled high with their own deli meats, sausages, homemade sauerkraut, plates of dumplings, more sausages, and stuffed cabbages, hearty goulash, borscht, and other soups (my favorite is the sausage and vegetable-a meal in itself!). If you have room for dessert the Kaloches and Babkas are to die for. Man do I love this place!

I think I enjoy these types of places more than the upscale dining spots I have been lucky enough to experience. Someone asked me today what my favorite restaurant of all time is. I would have to say the Saloon in Philadelphia. It is a nice neighborhood Italian joint in South Philly (home of Rocky Balboa). The food is great, trendy enough to keep the menu fresh, old enough to keep classics rolling for over 80 years. A former Mafia spot, it used to be cash only and you never had to worry about double parking your car in this "neighborhood." Joe the owner flies in fresh Langostinos (giant prawns) to roast from the Mediterranean daily. This is one of the classic dishes that has always been on the menu. They melt in your mouth. It was difficult in the early 80's to do that, but it is part of the specialness of this place. The other must (call 2 days in advance to guarantee it) is the deep fried Fettucine Alfredo appetizer. This gooey, rich, decadent dish isn't on the menu anymore (actually it has never been on the menu, it was just, you know, available), but for old fans of this recipe, Joe will comply. The sinfully rich Fettucine is panned into a deep cake pan for chilling. After setting up firm, he cuts them into 3 inch squares, dusts them in flour, dips them in egg wash and then coats them in Italian bread crumbs before deep frying them. Break the crust and out oozes the creamy Alfredo. My mouth is watering just writing this line...and I am still stuffed from lunch at Kramarczyk's.

I could write about food all day...let me know some of your favorite comfort food stops and I will try to visit them on my travels. Already on my list is Premanti Brothers in Pittsburgh. I just need an excuse to visit a client there.

Chow!

No comments: