Sunday, March 25, 2007

Gray Hair, Part II

How come the words, "Spring Break" sounded so much better before I had a son in college? I remember Spring Break for me...we didn't head to the beach, we headed to the ski slopes for 5 or 6 days of skiing at Jackson Hole, hanging out, yada-yada-yada. Interesting question, I thought to myself as Jeff reminded us he was heading to Daytona Beach after his Chem final last Friday. Let's see, cramming all week, finals in Calc, English and Inorganic Chem, then driving all night to Daytona Beach...lots of gray hair opportunities. However he was doing Spring Break in a way that I never did...he was heading down to the sun with his Real Life team. Worshiping the Son while worshipping the sun. Lori and I were mostly worried about him driving down there after finals week. We made sure he called us to tell us he made it safe...we couldn't sleep until we found out.

The weather wasn't that great down there, and he actually got a little sick early on. I think he reacts to stress that way. He felt much better the second half, and really had a great time getting to know some of his Real Life group a little better. Sharing his faith was a little harder, but he said kids were pretty interested in hearing his testimony. The sad part is how Daytona just ain't what it used to be at Spring Break. I think all the kids head to Cancun, Padre Island and New Orleans. Daytona Beach has lost its allure as a party spot.

The best part of his spring break was that he got to come home to Seattle for the last 3 days. We flew him home so he could spend some time with us. I think he missed his family. He actually chose to have dinner with us instead of running out with his old friends! Shocked to say the least. Melanie was glad to see him home, and immediately questioned his fashion sense...running around the house announcing that her brother was now a "prep!" I couldn't tell the difference, he looked like a typical teenager. His first day home was spent with his mother doing taxes, laundry and paying bills. I grilled steaks for supper, then a couple of his pals from high school showed up with "Tenacious D and the Pick of Destiny"...hilarious. Of course he slept in, ate like a Survivor! contestant, and stayed out really late chillin' with his friends.

I came to realize something...I don't actually need to spend that much time with him, I am just happy to see him alive. I get enough satisfaction in that first hug, smile and slap on the back...he is then free to run around with his friends, sleep, nap on the couch, whatever he wants. I think just knowing he is nearby is good enough for me.

His visit came and went too quickly, and Lori and I found ourselves dropping him off at the airport at 5:30 this morning. As we pulled away from the curb, "Helicopter" mom wondered if he remembered to check his bag all the way to Columbus...even had to leave a voicemail for him to remind him. I wanted to tell her to just run back there to check, but she is trying to fly her helicopter at a further distance from him. No tears from her this time, but she was close...I think she is starting to get used to the idea of him leaving home.

Until next post, Chow!

No comments: