Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Obama or Hillary

Many of you don't know me well enough to understand my political leanings, so I will tell you that I have been a solid Republican since I turned 18 and could vote (haven't missed a Presidential election). I have voted that way for almost 30 years...but after the past 7 years, my disgust and wretching over the current administration (and my powerless apathy towards him) has me looking for...you guessed it, "CHANGE!!!"

I read in an editorial about boomer aged Republicans and Independents leaving in droves and heading to the Obama camp. I believed I was the only one...I feel smarter now. Barack Obama seems to be the one candidate that really believes that he can make change happen in Washington, DC. It might be a pipe dream, but I am willing to invest my one measly vote to see that come true. There is just one problem...I may not get a chance to vote for him if he doesn't win the Democratic Presidential nomination over Hillary Clinton. My dilemna...if Obama wins, I vote Democrat for the first time, if Hillary wins, I will vote for any ol' Republican candidate. That just doesn't seem right to me. Then it dawns on me...voting is personal, it isn't about the issues, it is about the person representing the issues.

I gotta tell you, I truly cannot stand that woman. I have been trying to justify why for a long time, but I think it comes down to one word...TRUST. I don't think I can trust her. I believe all her qualities...experienced, intelligent, funny, clever, quick-witted, charming, the list could go on. I get that. But I also get that forboding feeling in the pit of my stomach...I can't tell when she is putting on an act or when she is being genuine. I just can't tell! Is it important that I tell when she is genuine or not? I think that is the character I am looking for in a President. If it ain't visible, it ain't there.

Here is my other view on this 2-Party election...the difference in where the country SHOULD be on the issues v. the difference between where the two parties ARE on the issues is much greater. For example: where the country should be on an issue like education for children is so very far from where the two parties are dickering that it almost makes no difference. Same with the defense budget, farm bill, Global Warming, dependence on fossil fuels, etc. Splitting political hairs v. making drastic changes necessary isn't worth debating anymore. Both parties are pitifully far away from where we should be as a people. The two groups aren't even that far off on abortion or immigration. So jumping to the democratic side doesn't feel that rebellious or disloyal. It just feels right...but only if Obama is the candidate.

Ramblings of a man hoping desperately that this one candidate, fresh faced, eager, and full of character can really bring about real and necessary change. Corporate America has really done enough...time to let the people rule America.

Go Obama!

Chow!

No comments: