Thursday, January 31, 2008

First Celebrity Sighting in LA

Okay, my first week in LA and I have a celebrity sighting to report. I was invited to attend a presentation by renowned homeopathic/naturopathic healer, Malcolm Smith. The event was being held at the home of an Acupuncturist and her husband in the old, ritzy section of Hollywood. One of the guys at the office was helping to host, and he invited a bunch of us along. The promise of dinner (and lack of a social life) prompted me to accept. I am not normally a passionista about homeopathic healing, but the subject sounded interesting. It was going to be a video presentation of some "before and afters" of his patients. Amazing was the word being bandied about. Okay, I am up for amazing, plus I had nothing planned that weekend.

On the way over, my co-worker casually mentioned that "Bonnie" would be there. I asked "which Bonnie?", and he answered, "Bonnie Rait". How cool is that? We got there early, because one thing is certain in SoCal...the parking will be horrendous. We found a tiny spot and wedged his Corolla in tightly. The host and hostess had turned an old school into their home, and the living room was now the presentation hall. Very nice. Bonnie came early and was very friendly, chatty and very much the personality she appears to be on TV, at concerts, etc. She brought her assistant and her blind tea cup poodle.

Dr. Malcolm (as he likes his patients to call him) was genuinely amazing. I believe there are mentally ill people that have physical ailments because of their mental state. He can help them. Not sure I buy completely into his methodology and antidotes, but the transformations in people were astounding. One psychopath changes before your very eyes into a normal, approachable, and much more handsome guy. I think his best results were on the clinically depressed.

Here is how it goes...remember, I am not a firm believer in this, but should report it to you all to judge for yourself. The newest homeopathic methodology involves categorizing humans into 1 of 3 buckets...Animal, plant, and mineral. In each of those categories, based on your description of yourself (through a series of questions), Dr. Malcolm can determine what type of animal, plant or mineral you are. There in lies the treatment as well. Your imbalance in health (physiological and mental) lies in the fact that the characteristics you are displaying need to be counter-acted by the same type of animal, plant or mineral. Basically restoring your balanced self. I know, sounds confusing. Let's take the psychopath we mentioned earlier...this guy basically was exhibiting characteristics of Nazi-ism and Adolph Hitler. Those characteristics map to the plant family...a particular type of fungus or mushroom. So the treatment is more of that mushroom. A tincture is made of that fungi and given to the "patient". Within 24 hours, if the treatment is a "match", there should be signs of improvement. Within 6 months, there should be drastic if not complete healing...and there was. You could see the lines on his face soften with each recording. The language, the achievement, the loss of physiological symptoms, the smiles, the amazement of friends, family and colleagues...all from a couple of drops of mushroom tonic. Mushroom cancels mushroom. I started wondering if he could heal me of my Type II diabetes, my high blood pressure and my sleep apnea...but it is hard to justify the $1500 consultation. But I do wonder what type of animal I am...oh yea, I am an animal. I married a plant though...ha!

I move into my new bachelor pad in Marina Del Rey, 1 block from famed Venice Beach. I have a nice studio apartment, but the rent is sky high! This weekend is SuperBowl, I will spend it with a friend in Malibu...I guess he lives right on the beach. Nice life...

I was also invited to a gallery opening...wow, making the social scene in LA. The artist is an awesome photographer. He will be exhibiting a new series of shots taken in China while on assignment. Check him out...Stephen Wilkes.

Chow!

No comments: