Tuesday, April 24, 2007

My Son the Rock Star

I am hoping you all are starting to get an understanding of me, my thoughts, personality and even my positions on things as you read my blog posts. Less important to me is that you understand my family...but I am making an exception for today's post. Seems that my son, Jeff, the freshman at Ohio State, has found his creative outlet in a band called the "Shameless Joys". Here is a link for their first ever gig: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2814259013910148707&q=shameless+joys&hl=en

Jeff plays bass, and he looks like he dyed his hair dark black for his new look. Granted, he could use some moves while on stage, but for his first public appearance playing music he looks surprisingly relaxed, and it sounds like he can play some licks as well. He says that for their next gig he will try to be a little more animated up on stage. It also sounds like he has some groupies in the audience. The band is fronted by Mark Ferrito, who has an excellent voice, decent song writing skills, and the car to get them all around...which is key. Boyan Alexandrov is pretty damn good on lead guitar, and the drummer, Andrew Vivian, is, well, a drummer...coolest member of the band, always. Their original songs, "Jaime", and "Burning" are reminiscent of early Kurt Cobain stuff...moody, full of emotion and slightly addictive.

My advice for the stars-in-the-making "Shameless Joys"...get a look that you can own. Find someone to help with some staging, choreography, and get some X chromosomes up there to fill out the sound. You are on your way, your sound just needs a little depth and dimension, and a female's voice will help...especially if she can sing harmony.

Jeff obviously gets his musical talent from his mother...I can't read music worth a lick (even after 4 years of violin lessons). It was kinda nice to see his gig even though I couldn't attend in person. I do hope he doesn't go the way of most Rockers...hooked on drugs, booze, sex, and then flaming out at a young age. I wonder if he needs a middle aged Roadie or Manager...hmmm.

New worries, I guess and definitely more gray hair.

Rock-On Jeff and the Shameless Joys...loved the virtual show!

Chow!

No comments: