Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Tremor Memories

After just 6 short months in LA, I experienced my first earthquake today...a smallish 5.4 Richter scale one, enough to shake things up, including my heart, but not big enough to cause any serious damage.

Wow, I thought I had recovered from that large earthquake in Seattle in 91, but when the shaking started, I had a little panic attack, and wanted to move from LA. Crazy, irrational, I know, but it was a very strong emotion. I still have a stomach-ache from the tremors of today.

Here is a funny anecdote...I just closed today on a condo in LA. I was supposed to close last week, but that underwriter didn't approve the loan because the condo building I am in didn't have earthquake insurance!! Now I am thinking...uhmm how smart was that? I was joking with my friend Julie that as soon as I don't have insurance there will be an earthquake...then we laughed. Whose laughing now? But the good news...maybe there won't be another one for a few years now. Fingers crossed.

My first thought was panic based...get me the f out of this building! But then quickly it turned to, "is everyone safe?" I needed to make sure Lori and Jeff were okay, which they were. I had a hard time using my cell phone and had to turn to the land line to finally get a hold of her. She was busy shopping in Bed, Bath and Beyond for stuff for the condo when it hit. She just continued shopping...now that is a pro for you!

Just posting this blog is helping me deal with that totally irrational fear and worry that the "big one" is just around the corner. God help me deal with this!

Chow!

No comments: