Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Happy Mother's Day!

Last year for Mother's Day I posted a tribute to my mom, but this year it is a tribute to my lovely wife of almost 29 years and the mother of our two amazing kids...Lori. How do I describe the type of mom she is? A fierce lioness or mother Grizzly bear defending her cubs against a threat comes to mind. She can also be a "Helicopter Mom" hovering above her children to make sure everything goes just so. She can pose as that secret stalker, going through Facebook looking for posts, updates and photos of her kids, wondering what kind of friends they have and worrying about their behavior. She worries because she cares deeply. Her children are THE most important aspect to her life. She isn't happy unless her kids are happy, she isn't satisfied until they are, and she won't sleep if they can't.

Her life revolves around the kids. I promised not to tell stories about her ferocity or enabling behavior, so this won't be a typical blog post from me. Straight tribute...no fun.

I always knew my mom loved me, but I wouldn't call my mom a "Helicopter Mom" type. My mom cared for us, raised us, loved us, but easily let us grow up and move out of the house. I think Lori would be happier if our kids lived with us forever...sure, bring an in-law or two along as well. She's like her dad in that respect. He just likes his family around him, and Lori has taken on that trait.

Nothing is too good for her kids, and she would sacrifice if they really asked for something. I make her sound extreme, but from my perspective, she can be. But the real test to motherhood is to see how the children have grown. Our kids are amazing. People tell us all the time that we did a good job of raising them. They are respectful, smart, and best of all, they don't take things for granted. They may be a little spoiled, but all in all, the two are ideal.

Lori gets the majority of that credit. I might have wanted to be a little tougher on them, but she knew the right amount of coddling to give the kids. I may have moved them around a lot growing up, but Lori always found a way to make it a learning adventure. She planned it so they would enter a new school before the end of the year so they had chances to make friends for the summer. A mom thinks about things like that. And I think my kids are better for it. When they fussed in anger, she took it squarely on the chin. She never cried in front of them, but in the privacy of our room she would cry her eyes out for her kids. They never knew how much they could hurt her feelings. But a mom takes that, and doesn't return that anger. She was always supportive, listened and let them vent angrily. I'm less accepting of that behavior and could show a little anger. But instinctively she knew not to react to their anger. Maybe only good moms know that.

In the animal world, a mother feeds, raises and teaches her baby to be self reliant, and then releases them to a cruel world. But most babies don't make it to maturity in the animal kingdom. They become food for a hungry predator. In the human world, a mom's investment in her offspring doesn't end at physical maturity. It continues through successful adulthood and then progeny. A good human mom knows she's done when her well-adjusted kids give her super grandkids.

Lori is the best human mom that I know. I may be biased because I married her, but even if I look objectively at the results, I don't know who can compare. She isn't a grandma yet, but she is patiently waiting for a chance to be that proud one. Then maybe she will relax, park the helicopter, and revert back to being my wife again.

Chow!

No comments: