Thursday, July 28, 2011

Live on Less and Donate More

The data was disturbing, and the comparisons in lifestyles between how the average Kenyan and the average "poor" US family lives was shocking. Here, let me share with you those comparisons: (from 2007, but relatively speaking, the stats haven't changed)

97% of “poor” Americans own at least one color television

80% of “poor” Americans have air conditioning

75% of “poor” Americans own at least one car


The average "poor" American residence has 2.56 rooms per person with approximately 740 sqft. per person and 100% clean water access


The average Kenyan residence in the capital of Nairobi has 0.27 rooms per person with approximately 55 sqft. per person and 40% clean water access


(The Census Bureau defines an individual as poor if his or her family income falls below certain specified income thresholds. These thresholds vary by family size. In 2006, a family of four was deemed poor if its annual income fell below $20,615)

I got these facts in an email from my friend Dave the other day. It came about a week after we returned from a life-changing trip from Kenya. After that trip, Dave has figured out that our standard for defining "poverty" is very different from the poverty he has come to experience in the slums of Kenya. In all instances, our "poor" still do not miss many meals, and have the choices in foods that they want to eat, generally speaking (there are exceptions, I am sure). The poor in other parts of the world are guaranteed to go hungry, and having a choice of foods is unheard of. Our poor generally have access to adequate health services of decent quality. In Kenya the access to health care is almost non-existent, and if you need to go to the district hospital, God be with you. Your chances of survival are slim. I have heard the expression that the poor in our country are still better off than 90% of the rest of the world, and now I believe it. In Kenya, the median income is just over $700 per year, and the poor are trying to live on $1 per day.

I don't flaunt these statistics to say that our poor aren't poor. I use them to make a comparison, and a point. For the 89% of Americans that live above the poverty level, which includes me, we need to be thankful, grateful, and generous in our giving.

Dave and his wife Sara have been supporters of CRF for years. They had never been to Kenya before, but had heard the stories, seen the pictures, and wanted to see for themselves, so they joined on our most recent trip there. I think Dave used the word, "bombshell" to describe how affected he was by what he had seen and experienced. I have seen a lot of things there, but the most poignant was when a small group returned from their visitation of late-stage AIDS victims in the slums. All 5 adults were in tears after visiting one young woman named, Patricia. I listened as Dave and Patti told the story of that young woman they had just seen. All of us listening to their story were moved to tears as well as they broke down, unable to fully describe their experience. Not only was she infected with AIDS after being sexually assaulted, she lived with severe epilepsy. "Living" is stretching it. She could only lie on the floor of a dirty mud hut with excrement all around her. She was skin and bones, yet tried to get up to show hospitality for her guests. There was no food, no furniture, no possessions to speak of, but she still wanted, or needed to show hospitality to visitors. That is the Kenyan way. After hearing her story, they asked what was being done for her. The health care worker with them quietly said that there wasn't much they could do for her, her late stage of the illness meant resources might be wasted. How does one accept that fate for that poor woman? In that small group was a doctor and two nurses...they would not accept that fate. Perhaps her late stage of AIDS development would not let her live much longer, but the rest of her life should be lived out in some semblance of dignity. They left food for her, and one of the women in the local HIV-AIDS support group promised to care for her. Imagine being that healthcare worker and having to make life-and-death decisions on who should have food or not. I thank them for taking on that responsibility and not having it fall on me. But more importantly, how do I make sure they have enough resources?

I think that is where Dave is with his life. I think that is where I am with my life. What can we do to make sure they have enough resources so they don't have to make such life and death decisions.

I have so much stuff! My possessions overwhelm me sometimes. They get in the way figuratively and physically. I would hate to tell you how many color TV's I have in my house and in my basement going unused. I have AC, I have 3 cars in my driveway, and stuff...boy do I have a lot of stuff! I hate doing the math to figure out how much I have spent just on stuff. I am not alone in this. My daughter is cleaning her room out after her sophomore year in college. Where did it all come from? I am almost paralyzed when I think about trying to rid my life of the extra stuff I have everywhere.

I have decided that I will live on less and donate more. It is a good mantra to have. It is what my God wants from me. Will you join me?

Chow!

No comments: