Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Out with the old, in with the new...

With 2008 coming rapidly to a close, it is time to reflect on the past 12 months. Why do we reflect on the past? I suppose it is a chance for us to assess our lives in a "forced" way; you know, the end of the year and all. We should take a look at how we walked the planet and make plans for the next 12 months to be a shining time for accomplishment, fulfillment of dreams, etc. Realistically the difference between December 31st and January 1st is minimal. But symbolically it can be a huge difference for us personally. We seem to have three options: 1) We can wipe the slate clean...of all of our failures, shortcomings, sins, whatever shame and disappointment burdens us, and we can look forward to a fresh, clean year to screw up. 2) We can also build on the successes, accomplishments, and good feelings we had as well. 3) We can ignore the changing of the year and just continue to live our lives as if there isn't anything different between one day and the next. No judgment from me, it can be either of the 3, and there is no right answer on how to express the new year, is there?  It is our choice.

I think I have always been in group #1...wipe it clean, start it over. It might change a little from year to year, but generally I think about renewal, improvement, forgiveness. And most years I fail to renew, improve, or stop bad habits. Last year I realized that I seemed to keep having the same end-of-the-year thoughts and frustrations of not being able to change myself so I resolved not to set any resolutions, but instead I set 1 goal for myself: I wanted to be passionately involved in something that God put in my path. Now how to define "involved"...basically I was going to try to listen to that inner voice that is always trying to tell us what to do. Most times I ignore the voice and avoid "involvement" at all costs. In 2008, I set the goal to jump in enthusiastically.

So 2008 had barely started when the opportunity presented itself...Africa. More specifically a microfinance opportunity for Africa. I have been spouting off for the past few years about how to sustainably help Africans, now I had a chance to put all my brilliant theories to work. As the year progressed, it got deeper. Lori and I helped to buy some land in Kenya to build a future around. No real plans, just a good opportunity presenting itself. We continued to pay the rent on the existing orphanage, and upheld all of our commitments to help as needed. Then in the spring, I helped develop a basic structure of a sustainable model where a "for profit" investment would help fund "not-for-profit" projects. Basically the model is built on the idea of a "corporate" community. The community of people would develop a corporate structure that would develop businesses to employ community members and throw off profits. A portion of those profits would then go towards charitable projects like health clinics, schools, churches, job training and so on. The sustainability comes from the fact that the community supports the charitable work, and it isn't dependent on outside agencies and donations. Way too much of the work being done in emerging economies is based on donations and outside charities. (It is evident when the fastest growing jobs are all in the charitable works field.)

Our model was presented to the board of directors for Christian Relief Fund in October. They liked the approach and wanted to experiment with two areas of the world that they had communities that they believed could start and support these types of works: Honduras and Kenya. However, more details about how to structure a community-held corporation would have to be explored, developed and detailed. But despite the lack of information and detail, they voted to create a budget and project. The real opportunity for my personal commitment came when a board member asked me if I would consider a nomination to become a member of the board for CRF and lead the microfinance effort. So here is where the rubber meets the road...the inner voice was screaming, "yes, do it!", but my sensible side kept arguing that I didn't have time, blah, blah, blah. Then I remembered my goal...passionate involvement. So I said, "yes, I would be happy to accept a nomination." God made sure I had no way out by giving me a unanimous approval.

As I look forward into 2009, I guess I am now becoming more of a #2 kind of person...I need to build on the commitments I made in 2008.  I've got one foot in the pool, but need to jump in with both feet, arms, legs, torso, head and most importantly, my heart. 

Wish me well in 2009, and if you want to join me, let me know!

Happy New Year! I hope you find something to be passionately involved in.

Chow!


3 comments:

goooooood girl said...

i like your blog......

Joano said...

Hey Larry!

I loved the resolution you shared. I think I'm about one year behind you, so I'll follow in your footsteps (maybe)! I loved how you resolve to "be passionately involved in something that God put in (your) path" and I want to make that my resolution as well! Can't wait to see what that is!!

Congrats on all the meaningful work you've done this year. What are the prayer needs for this new for-profit project? Maybe I can get involved with you by praying...

God bless, friend! And to a fruitful 2009 for all of us!

Ryan Calkins said...

Larry,
I just stumbled upon your blog, and I've enjoyed reading about your ideas for development in Africa. If you are interested in connecting with folks doing microfinance work, we have a group here in Seattle that meets regularly, called SeaMo. Check us out: www.seattlemicrofinance.org.
Ryan