Sunday, March 9, 2008

Big Sis Turning 51

I was in denial last year when my oldest sister turned 50. That meant I was that much closer to the half a century mark, and I couldn't acknowledge that, yet. But this year, she commented that I have given everyone a birthday "shout out" except her. I had to remind her, no, actually I didn't. Dad's was a Father's Day tribute...ha. I have no real excuse, that is just my feeble attempt to justify why I didn't. I will make up for it this year.

If I had to pick one word to associate with Irene, it would have to be "Pioneer".  As the oldest of 4 kids born into a Chinese-American, Roman Catholic, globe-trotting family, she lead the way for all of us. Just being in that kind of family broke a lot of barriers, but she broke so many other barriers socially for us as well.  In our family, Mom and Dad laid down the law. Irene chose to skirt that set of laws and broke rules to ease our oppression. Sneaking out at night, missing curfew, smoking, etc. She found the gaps in Mom and Dad's security system, and pushed the limits of what they accepted to pave the way for us younger ones.  I think I had a much easier teen existence because of her influence. 

I would say that she was also the experimenter, going through all the social change of the 60's and early 70's as a teen. But, she and Viv suffered a little for her pioneering ways. The 'rents wouldn't trust either of them to date while in high school, and I think that had some negative consequences for both of them as they discovered "men" later in life after never having to deal with "boys" earlier.

I thought she was all rebel, while I was all conformity. I toed the line, she obliterated it.  As a youngster, she fought with authority, while I respected it.  I still remember the first time I saw her drinking coffee...I thought, wow, she is going to get in trouble for that! I think she was 14...which made me 10. It was a glass of iced coffee, and we were on the front porch. It was as if it were a glass of whiskey it was so taboo! She even gave me a sip!

She was cool. She always had the hippest outfits...hot pants, go-go boots, platform shoes, bell-bottoms, beads, headbands, cool shades, etc.  She had a cassette player and radio all in one! And it was always tuned to the WEEL (1310 on AM). She always tried to get us to have the same hipness. She drove an Austin-Healy Bug-eyed Sprite in college (when she could get it to start), and had very cool artsy type friends. Her choices in men were suspect, but I remind you of her upbringing.

That pioneer and rebel is now a grandmother. She wants her grandkids to call her "Meemaw". Now how cute is that? Her kids are maturing and starting to really understand how much she loves them, and always has. She found her true love, Paul, who is her soul mate (gag). Those parents she used to clash with as a teenager?...she now takes care of and watches out for. She has come full circle. My parents trust her completely. They work together in the realty business, and she is their trusted advisor. She loves spending time with them, and they eat together almost every weekend, and many times during the week. 

I purposely skipped the middle part of her life, because that journey was a difficult one for her, and hard for her family to watch her go through. The back half is the best part so far. That tough section of road taught me to respect her even more. I am amazed at what she can do, and what she is able to endure.

The pioneer has truly found her life. 

Happy Birthday Irene! 

Chow!

No comments: