Friday, February 16, 2007

Driving Miss Melanie

Well, I promised some posts on my teen daughter's driving exploits. I was hoping for death-defying experiences, but I am happy to announce that she is a pretty good driver. She has been behind the wheel for a couple of weeks now, but it has been my wife's role to do the early driving lessons. I think it is because I am a yeller. So after a HS band concert I asked her to drive us all home...at first she protested because she had a long dress and heels on, but I think she thought about it a little and then changed her mind. She needs the practice and she knows it. She has the typical new driver problems: she overshoots her turns, oversteers and then over corrects, and her parking is attrocious! I made her get out twice to see where she was in relation to the curb. But I have to admit she is very safe and aware of what is going on around her. She is very different than her older brother. He would be extremely quiet, where she is quite the chatterbox. So we had a nice conversation while she chauffered me around town. Besides the regular discussion of boys, girls and the relational issues they have at that age, we happened on a subject that really made me think.

We talked about slang words that were popular when I was her age v. what is popular now. She asked me why "cool" is still, well, cool. Sometimes she is extremely insightful...I have another story that I will post another time. Anyway we talked about how it still fits in our language today because it describes a contemporary feeling or setting so aptly. And I think it always will. I asked her if "groovy" could enjoy a resurgence. She laughed at me and said I was nuts. I felt challenged and said that I would make "groovy" come back. But the more we talked about it, it just doesn't seem to fit any contemporary scenes or feelings. I doubt I will be able to resurrect that fun word. I tried it a few times, and got her to snicker at me, and say, "Dad, you are so embarassing!" You know, it just didn't feel right to say it. What happened to groovy settings? Can't anything be groovy anymore? I hate to put that word away, but there isn't a place for it anymore.

A friend wished me Happy Birthday and asked if I felt old at 46. I told him it was all relative...when I think about it without any other references, I don't feel too old at 46. But when I think about it in a different set of circumstances, like having a 19 year old college kid, I do feel older. What's worse is when I get news that other people's kids are graduating from college, getting jobs, and having children of their own...that is what I mean by relative.

Hey, it is Chinese New Year this weekend. The year of the Boar! Be extra generous to those that help and support you, be a big tipper and good fortune will return back to you.

Chow!

2 comments:

Irene Wu Adams said...

Cute closing salutation, Larry! Is that a tongue-in-cheek play on words since you're in the food (chow) industry? or mispelling of "Ciao" (the Italian greeting with multiple uses similar to the Hawaiian multi-purpose greeting "Aloha"). Too bad that being groovy isn't groovy anymore. . . seems to lack sophistication. My favorite new colloquialism is the one-word blend of two words "chilling" and "relaxing" - chillaxin'!
:)

spacebased said...

Year of the Boar for all of us born in 1959. Thanks for reminding.

And enjoy the honeymoon with Melanie now. When she gets greater confidence from her increased skills, she'll likely start to push the envelope. I thought Alexi was a safe driver too till I started hearing stories about 360's and such. It took a couple of tickets (HINT - use the ticket-fixing companies to keep off the points and insurance increases) to calm her down.